Sleep … everyone wants it, but not everyone gets it.
Many people ask me in my office how they should sleep to minimize pain and discomfort and how to get a good nights rest.
My number one tip to help with sleep is to get your Chiropractic Adjustments! The adjustments help the nervous system to calm down and takes aches and pains away so your body can have a good nights sleep. Many patients report to me that the day of their adjustments they sleep more soundly.
Outside of that number one reason, here are my other top 5 tips for sleep:
1) Exercise, Exercise, Exercise. Your sleep will get better when you are physically active. No question. Period.
2) Avoid alcohol on nights you need a good sleep. Some people think that alcohol will help you to get a goods night sleep, but it is the opposite. It is one of the worst things to interrupt sleep. A magnesium supplement also helps with sleep!
3) Avoid screen time directly before bed. Put your computer away and try to leave your phone in a different room away from you. Not only could a bad text or email leave you frustrated before bed, the white lights from the electronics interfere with your sleep.
4) Lavender essential oil is amazing! I diffuse it in the bedroom before sleep and take a few drops and put it under my nose and on my wrists. It helps me to have a more restful sleep.
5) Sleep in a good neutral spinal position. This helps you to avoid waking up with aches and pains. To protect your low back, sleep on your back with a pillow under your knees or on your side with a pillow between your knees. Your neck will also want to be in a good neutral position. If you sleep on your back, a thinner pillow is needed to avoid raising or lowering your neck. If you sleep on your side, a pillow large enough to go from your head to the edge of your shoulder is needed.
Different people need different sizes of pillows and there are stores that will measure you to ensure the perfect fit. There is no magic pillow – find one that is the right size for your body and style of sleep and feels good to you!